1. Select a discrete app icon.
- Victims are only young women
- Couples counseling is the answer to stopping the abuse
- Reproductive abuse doesn’t exist
- It’s not rape if you’re married
- Victims of abuse are weak
- Financial abuse isn’t real, it’s a person’s responsibility to be financially independent
- If there’s not a bruise, it’s not abuse
- The survivor is exaggerating the abuse
- Abusers only become violent because they’re intoxicated
- The abuser must be mentally ill, have addiction problems, etc.
- Abuse only happens among uneducated, low-income individuals
- The abuse must not be that bad if the survivor is still with their partner
- The survivor knew what they were getting into at the start of the relationship
- Victims don’t care about their children if they stay in the relationship
- Both partners are probably abusive
- Victims provoke the abuse
- By staying, a survivor is encouraging or tolerating abusive behavior
- If a victim wanted the abuse to stop, they’d just leave
- Men are the only perpetrators
Looking for someone to speak with? Enter your location to find phone numbers for domestic violence experts in your area.
Have a question about domestic violence? Type your question below to find answers.