At domesticshelters.org, operated by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Theresa’s Fund ("Operator(s)" or "we" or "us" or "our"), we appreciate your use of and contributions to our Websites (defined to include all properties - mobile, web or otherwise - owned and operated by Operators) and features (known as the "services"). We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal information.
Advertising-Supported Business Model
Our Websites and our extensive services are generally funded through advertising and subscription dollars. These revenue sources help keep our Websites free of charge for Internet users. It also allows us to explore and build new features.
We strive to make advertisements relevant and useful to you. Therefore, we may serve advertisements to you based on the information we collect from you or in relation to your interaction on our site. We pledge to be transparent about the information we monitor and collect from you. We keep information private between you and Operator, except as explained below.
Information You Submit
We may store the information you submit to or through the Website. We use the information to fulfill your requests, provide Website services, improve Website quality, personalize the user experience, display relevant advertising, provide customer support, message you, back up our systems, allow for disaster recovery, and comply with legal obligations. Among the information you submit to or through the Website, please note:
- Account Registration: You must provide a valid email address, your first and last name and additional information in order to sign up for an Account on the Site; you provide this information about yourself and your organization at your own discretion. When you sign up for an account, we opt you in to receive emails from us. At any time, you can manage your email preferences and modify some of the information associated with your account. Note that you cannot opt out of receiving required administrative or legal notices.
- Public Content: Your reviews, tips, photos, check-ins, check-in comments, likes, message board posts, bookmarks, friends, lists, compliments, account profile (including your gender, first name and last initial, but excluding your other account registration information), and any other content you post to the Website are meant for public consumption. We may display this content on the Website, and further distribute it to a wider audience through third party websites and services at our own discretion without further consent from you.
- Messaging and Saved Content: If you exchange messages with others or save content to your account through the Website, we may store this content in order to provide you and other users proper service. If you send information from this Website to your phone via SMS text message, we may log your phone number, phone carrier, and the date and time that the message was processed. Carriers may charge recipients for texts that they receive.
- Credit Card Purchases: If you own or operate an domestic violence provider organization and choose to promote your organization on this Website, we may collect and store billing and credit card information. This information will only be shared with third parties who perform tasks required to complete the purchase transaction (such as fulfilling orders and processing credit card payments). When you submit credit card numbers, we encrypt that information using industry standard technology.
Cookies and Other Information We Collect
In addition to the information you submit to or through the Website, we also collect and store information from and about you in the course of your use of the Website. We may use this information to analyze and track user behavior, personalize your experience, associate it with other information about you, provide the functionality and improve the quality of the Website, help comply with legal obligations, and may use it to display relevant advertising. We collect this information in a couple of different ways:
- Server Logs: Our servers log information about your use of the Website, such as your search activity, the pages you view, the date and time of your visit, and the businesses you call using our mobile applications. Our servers also log information that your computer or mobile device provides to us in connection with your use of the Website, such as your browser type, browser language, IP address, mobile carrier, unique device identifier, location, and requested and referring URLs.
We do not rent, share, sell or trade personally identifiable information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. That said, please note the following:
- Service Providers: Some of the services that are offered through the Website are provided by third party providers. We also outsource some of our own services to third party providers, such as technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, payment processing functions, and other services. We may share information from or about you with these third party providers so that they can perform their services or complete your requests.
- Aggregate Information: We may share user information in the aggregate with third parties, such as advertisers and content distributors. For example, we may disclose the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, advertisements.
- Investigations: We may investigate and disclose information from or about you if we have a good faith belief that such investigation or disclosure is (a) reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on us; (b) helpful to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site; or (c) protect our rights, reputation, property, or that of our users affiliates, or the public.
- Links: The Website may contain links to unaffiliated third party websites. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your personal information with them, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on all such third party websites.
- Facebook, Twitter and Google: If you are logged into Facebook, Twitter or Google, and you access but are not logged into the Website, we may receive information from Facebook to make it easier for you to create an account on the Website and show you relevant content from your social media friends. This information personalizes your experience and helps you create an account. You can also connect your Operator account to your accounts on third party services like Facebook or Twitter, in which case we may collect and store information identifying your account with the third party service. We use the information to help you connect and share public content with your friends and followers.
Controlling Your Personal Data
Other users may be able to identify you, or associate you with your user account if you include personal information in your Public Content. You can reduce the risk of being personally identified by using the Website pseudonymously, though doing so could detract from the credibility of your contributions to the Website.
Please also note that the messages you send or receive using the Website are only private to the extent that you and the sender/recipient keep them private. For example, we do not have any control over whether a recipient of one of your personal messages publicly posts it or its contents.
Data Retention and Account Termination
The Site is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child's account.
The following guidelines are used by DomesticShelters.org to determine which books we will make available in our Recommended Books section. If you are an author and would like us to consider your book for our site, please review the guidelines carefully before submitting. To submit a book, email us at email@example.com and include a PDF copy of the book.
- It is preferred that your book is published by a traditional publisher, not self-published.
- The book must be professionally written, researched, fact-checked, edited and copyedited.
- The book must meet book publishing industry standards for formatting, structure and presentation.
- The writing must exhibit expert understanding of domestic violence or related topics.
- The author is ideally widely recognized for their expertise on the topic presented.
- The book must have an ISBN 10.
- The book must be available through amazon.com.
- You must submit a PDF version of the book so that it can be easily reviewed.
While we receive many book submissions and reserve the right to determine which books will become available on DomesticShelters.org, we’re nonetheless greatly appreciative of all the good work created by the many people working to help survivors and end domestic violence.