16 Signs of Financial Abuse
- Sabotages employment opportunities.
- Forbids you from working.
- Controls how money is spent.
- Denies you direct access to bank accounts.
- Gives you an “allowance”.
- Forces you to write bad checks or file fraudulent tax returns.
- Runs up large debts on joint accounts without your permission.
- Forces you to work in the family business without pay.
- Refuses to pay bills for accounts that are in your name in order to ruin your credit.
- Forces you to turn over paychecks or public benefits checks.
- Forces you to account for all money you spend by showing receipts.
- Applies for credit accounts using your name and personal information.
- Withholds money for basic necessities like food, clothing, medication and housing.
- Spends money on himself or herself but not allow you to do the same.
- Gives you presents or pay for things and expects something in return.
- Forces you to work while he or she does not and yet still controls all the money.