1. Select a discrete app icon.
- Describe the steps of everyday activities, such as cooking or doing laundry
- Go for a walk
- Think of your favorite things and describe them to yourself
- Recite coping statements such as, "I can handle this."
- Stretch or do yoga
- Describe your environment
- Create a daily routine or schedule for yourself and stick to it
- Read a book or magazine
- Pet an animal
- Practice breathing exercises
- Develop a sense of gratitude; note the things you're grateful for in your life
- Pay attention to where you are, develop a sense of place
- Play the 54321 game: list 5 things in the room, 4 things you can feel, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 good thing about yourself
- Get in touch with nature: walk along the beach, smell some flowers, garden
- Get moving- jumping jacks, riding a bike, whatever it is you enjoy
- List five positive things in your life
- Imagine yourself in a comfortable and safe environment, or familiar place
- Eat or drink something and notice the taste
Looking for someone to speak with? Enter your location to find phone numbers for domestic violence experts in your area.
Have a question about domestic violence? Type your question below to find answers.