13 Signs of Trauma Bonding
- You feel stuck and powerless in the relationship but want to make the best of it.
- You don’t know if you trust the other person, but you can’t leave.
- You’d describe your relationship as intense and complex.
- There are promises of things getting better in the future.
- You “focus on the good” in the person, despite behaviors you know are abuse.
- You think you can change your abusive partner.
- Your friends and/or family have advised you to leave the relationship, but you stay.
- You find yourself defending the relationship if others criticize it.
- The abusive partner constantly lets you down, but you believe them anyway.
- You constantly worry about doing something that would upset them.
- You know they're deceptive and manipulative, but you can't let go.
- You do everything you can do to please them and are always loyal, even when they give you nothing but pain.
- You find yourself craving any small amount of affection or love from them.